Building Construction Science - ribbon cutting for construction site trailer
 (photo by Megan Bean / © Mississippi State University)
tupelo crossroads
276.113430 CBI Const-Dairy queen 4
lawhon construction
fairpark towers


  • Contact the Planning Department to complete an application that can be found Here.
  • The Planning Department will determine if the location for the business is in an appropriate zoning district.
  • The Planning Department will determine if a building inspection is required and schedule said inspection at the earliest available time.
  • Contact the Fire Department at 662-841-6439 to schedule a fire code inspection for a Certificate of Occupancy.
  • Present both inspection reports to the Planning Department.
  • Visit the City of Tupelo Finance Office on the first floor of City Hall to obtain a Privilege Tax License. For more information about obtaining a Privilege Tax License, contact the City Clerk's office at 662-841-6505 or 662-841-6506.
  • Visit the Tupelo Water & Light Collections Office at 333 Court Street from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday, to establish service. Provide copies of the business lease, Certificate of Occupancy, Fire Inspector's Report, and Privilege License.
  • Health Department Approval: A copy of an approved inspection report from the Health Department is required before a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued for all food service businesses and all day care businesses. Contact the Lee County Health Department 662-841-9096, for more information.
  • Sales Tax Number: A sales tax number can be obtained from the local office of the Mississippi State Tax Commission, 2610 Traceland Drive, Tupelo, MS, 662-842-4616.
  • Building Codes: The City of Tupelo has adopted the 2018 International Building Code series.

Other permits and licenses may be required.