- Date PostedMarch 27, 2015
- Last PostedMarch 19, 2015
- Country United States
CITY OF TUPELO
Job Description Communication Director & Public Policy Advisor
The Communication Director and Public Policy Advisor is responsible for developing and distributing public information and publicity for the City of Tupelo including public notices, calendar events, publicity with photographs, and press releases. The Communication Director and Public Policy Advisor is also responsible for making arrangements for advertisements as needed and for arranging media interviews. He/she is also expected to attend policy related meetings and provide analysis when appropriate to the Mayor regarding issues of public importance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide all media (newspaper, cable TV, radio, web site, ) with notices of upcoming newsworthy events, and advertising.
- Act at the Mayor’s direction in terms of both internal and external
- Provide background and information and consult on matters of public policy and advise on how best to communicate issues of importance to the
- Write and issues press releases, reports, speeches policy
- Attend City Council meetings to assist the
- Coordinate photo shoots and provide general oversight of the City of Tupelo
- Serve as a liaison and/or representative of the Mayor’s office when needed.
- Advise Mayor on issues of importance to the City of
- Perform other duties as assigned by the
- Oversee website maintenance, the Mayor’s schedule in conjunction with the administrative assistant to the Mayor, social media presence and projects or events as
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Must have college degree, preferably in Public Relations, Public Affairs, Journalism, Media, but equivalent and extensive work experience in public
affairs, public relations, journalism, or media may be substituted for possessing a degree in those fields.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must thoroughly understand and be able to use advanced computer program skills to include the Microsoft Office suite, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, budget and desktop publishing
- Ability to understand, give, and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret correspondence, reports, and other general and specialized data;
- Ability to respond to citizen queries by telephone, in writing, or electronically;
- Ability to research and prepare reports and correspondence;
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, and citizens;
- Must be able to completely prepare correspondence using appropriate business writing style;
- Must possess an extensive knowledge of English language rules, spelling, punctuation, and style;
- Ability to perform all functions of desktop publishing including composing, editing, layout, printing, and
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations including percentage, fractions, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and apply principles of elementary algebra and geometry to everyday
- Ability to understand and apply common units of measurement;
- Ability to understand and apply accounting principles and
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define and solve problems,
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion with regard to city and department policies and procedures;
- Ability to work with limited supervision;
- Ability to carry out detailed instructions and deal with problems;
- Ability to apply innovative ideas to problem solving;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information accumulated in the course of employment;
- Must maintain professional
- Ability to operate modern office equipment including calculator, fax, copier, computer, typewriter, and video
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION
- Must posses a valid Mississippi Driver’s License and a Social Security
- Non S. Citizens must have appropriate Immigration documents.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation, which does not create undue hardship, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing this job employee will be required to stand, walk, sit, talk, hear and listen; use fingers to handle or feel; stoop, kneel; reach with hands and
- Requires on occasion for employee to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Specific close, distant, peripheral, depth, focus adjustment and color vision are
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation, which does not create undue hardship, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work in moderate This is a demanding and high stress position with constant interruptions and inquiries.