Rss Twitter Facebook

Development Services

City of Tupelo

News and Information

ATTN: Exceptions to the recently adopted 2012 International Code:

The City Council voted – based on recommendations of the License Commission – to adopt the 2012 International Code series to replace the previous 2006 codes, with the following exceptions:

  • In the 2012 Residential Code, the requirement for fire protection sprinkler systems in one- and two- family dwellings is deleted.
  • The 2011 National Electrical Code is adopted to replace the 2005 Electrical Code, with amendment prohibiting the use of aluminum wire and the use of conductors smaller than #12AWG.

The new codes adopted include the Fire Code, Building Code, Residential Code, Electrical Code, Plumbing Code, Mechanical Code, Fuel Gas Code, Property Maintenance Code, and Swimming Pool Code.

blue line


Fencing cityATTN: Residents, property owners, roofing contractors and fence contractors in the City of Tupelo:

With the current high level of rebuilding work going on in Tupelo, the Development Services department has received a high volume of questions regarding the requirements on roofs and fences.

Do I have to get a permit for replacing or repairing a roof?

If you are simply replacing shingles, a permit is not required.  However, if roof decking or structural repairs are involved, or if placing a metal roof on a structure that did not already have a metal roof, a permit is required.

Do I have to get a permit to build or repair a fence?

No permit is required for fence construction.  However, you are responsible for making sure that the fence meets location, height, and appearance standards as follows:

  • In residential areas, a fence between the wall line of the house and a street may not be more than four feet in height.
  • Between the house and the side or rear lot lines, a fence may be eight feet in height.
  • If a house on an adjoining property is further from the street, fence height over four feet may not be closer than the closest point of the adjoining house.
  • On double frontage lots, fences between the rear of houses and major collector or arterial streets may be eight feet.
  • The finished side of all fences shall face off site.
  • On corner lots and other situations, higher fences may be approved through the compatible use review process.

Who should I contact if I have questions about these requirements or permitting procedures?

Department of Development Services at:  (662) 841-6510 and (662) 841-6520

Chief Building Inspector:  David Wammack                 

City Planner:  Pat Falkner                                                    

Zoning Administrator:  Marilyn Vail                                


  • Departments

  • Videos

    • Pay TW&L Bill
    • Action
    • Have a Yard Sale
    • Action
    • Action
    • Action
    • Pay TW&L Bill
    • Action
    • Have a Yard Sale
    • Action
    • Action
    • Action